Karie on Dec 15th 2007 10:19 pm
On our first morning back in the U.S. (after waking up at 3am thanks to the jet lag), we headed down to the Spanish Consulate in Los Angeles.Â We are now the proud holders of Visados Residencias de Espana!Â We still have one hoop to jump through to finalize it all, but itâ€™s downhill from here.
Visas in hand, we headed for the second priority of the tripâ€¦ Target!Â Target is high on the list of things Iâ€™ve missed, among the ranks of Penny Lane, Mexican food and Cheez-Its.
We have been loving Barcelona and honestly try not to spend too much energy focusing on things we miss (ok, except maybe Penny), but when we found out we were coming back home, we realized how much we had to look forward to.
I thought we wouldnâ€™t get to see any of Scottâ€™s family for Christmas, I thought I wouldnâ€™t see my niece again until she was two, and I thought I would have to live with the regret of leaving my red plaid heels in storage for a year.
I realize weâ€™ve only been gone 3 months.Â I mean, some people vacation longer than that, so itâ€™s not like we experienced some huge culture shock upon returning to American soil.Â Nonetheless, a lot has happened in the last 3 monthsâ€¦
- We have accomplished a huge goal.Â Weâ€™re not finished yet, but weâ€™ve made the leap and weâ€™re living it out.
- Charlize (aka, Charlie, my niece) started walking & talking
- My cousin (Carene) and friend (Nacia) had babies
- Iâ€™ve reconnected with more friends through this blog than I did in years of living only a few minutes or a domestic phone call away
- Friends in San Diego have lost their homes
- The exchange rate continues to tank, which suddenly really matters to me
- Matthew (Scottâ€™s brother) lost part of his pinky (I thought that was worth mentioning!)
- When we moved, my Grandpa was in the hospital and had nearly lost the will to live.Â Last Sunday he came over after church, wearing a dapper suit and hat and ready to eat tacos.
â€¦just to name a few.Â Needless to say, our trip home was wonderful!Â Iâ€™m always intentional to reflect & be grateful for all the blessings in my life, but I think we now have an even deeper appreciation for the big and the small.
After nearly 2 days of travel (ugh!), we are now back in Barcelona.Â We arrived only 4 hours before my parents, who are here to celebrate Christmas/New YearsÂ with us.
Now we have an entirely different list of things to look forward toâ€¦Â I love playing tour guide for family/friends (hint, hint), learning the culture & the language, making new friends, walking to almost anything we need, sidewalk cafes that easily trump Starbucksâ€¦ I even like hanging my clothes outside to dry.
Itâ€™s so much fun, and for now, itâ€™s home.